Saturday, September 09, 2006

A RAINY SATURDAY

Larry went to a KORCOS meeting with Pastor Johnson. This is the association for foreign schools. We are mainly interested in the teacher conference which will be in October. And, yes, it will be on the military base. So much nicer for us...and closer than last year. I stayed home and continued unpacking. I managed to empty one more bin,so we have only two left. We're still trying to figure out the best way to hang things since we have cement walls.
I ventured out into the rain (which I happen to like) to go shopping. Ineeded a mouse pad as my optical mouse does NOT like the glass desktop. I also want a computer keyboard shelf so I can have lots of free space to spread out my books while I'm on the computer. This is easy to find in the States. I know it can be found here, but I just haven't figured out where. I did go to a small local computer store. The woman and her two daughters tried to be helpful. Finally, they managed to convey that I needed to go to a household furnishings store. Not being sure what that is here, I ended up at L-Mart. I didn't find the shelf, but I did find the mouse pad. Remember my juice lady? Well, on my way from one end of my neighborhood to the other, I looked across the street and saw her hurrying home from work. She also saw me and became quite excited. I haven't figured out why this is so exciting for her since we cannot talk to each other, but she lights up like a Christmas tree. She even started to cross the street but realized the light was red for her. We settle for waving at each other.I passed a store today called "Every They." So, what is that supposed to mean? Abby and Larry informed me that a big multi-story building just going up at a major intersection near Seoul National University is painted a pale yellow and is called "Egg Yellow." Koreans like using English words. The trouble with us Americans is that we try to make it make sense!
The butcher at Best Mart always makes me feel good. He will greet me from across the store. He's still amazed that I buy a kilo of ground pork at one time. Today, I'm sure I amazed him because I bought a large roast (of which he was sure I wanted only half), some meat for tonight, and chicken. Korean cooking uses meat as a garnish, and Korean women typically shop every day for supper. I work and do not relish going to the store every day to get my food. I'm sure I am a wonderment!
For those of you who pray for health and physical strength for us, we thank you. Right now, we just have too much to do and are trying to pace ourselves. All I know is that we haven't gotten sick, and we are still able to move energetcially at school. We should be sick and wornout, yet we aren't. I am personally frustrated because I am wanting to work regular exercise into my life, but all I'm able to accomplish is the walk to and from school. (It is longer now since we moved, so that's a good thing.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home