Saturday, October 21, 2006

A TASTE OF HOME

When we first came to South Korea, I told Elizabeth that I didn't want to regularly frequent U.S. franchises. I really wanted to assimilate into the culture. However, as time went by, I realized that the many U.S. businesses weren't here for me, but they were busily serving the native consumers.

Just this week, I saw an advertisement for the first Build-a-Bear store which opened here in mid-September. This revelation prompted me to think of all the U.S. franchises that have taken up residence here in South Korea.

Here's a list of the various U.S. restaurant franchises that I am aware of here in Seoul.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, KFC, Popeye's, Burger King, McDonald's, TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesday, Outback Steakhouse, Baskin-Robbins, Dunkin' Doughnuts, Schlotzsky's Deli, Subway, and Starbucks. There may be more, but my mind can't think of any more at the moment.

Most of these places are thriving and many seem ubiquitous. The fare offered is, for the most part, the usual menu, but there are usually Korean adaptions and additons. For instance at McDonald's you can get a bulgogi burger, at Outback you can have kimchi as a side dish, at Dunkin'Doughnuts you can get red bean-filled doughnuts, and at the pizza places you can get sweet potato pizza.

Many American-brand products are available, and we have CostCo where we can get hard-to-find, must-have items such as cheese. We did have Wal-mart here until this past May; they didn't do well against the Korean chains like E-Mart and Home Plus.

Now if only we could get an Olive Garden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home